Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, November 22, 2014

drawing challenge - rara avis - update






When cleaning my studio some time ago I found this piece of plywood.
It was left over from an earlier project and I couldn't decide to throw it away.
I've edited it a bit and mounted it on a wooden block. Now this "rara avis"
is in my studio as a proud bird keeping an eye on everything.


blue bird


























As host for this week´s dc my first thought was to choose the theme `Rosetta`,
(as reference to the spacecraft on a ten-years mission to catch a comet and 
also to the rosetta stone)
Although I choose another theme the stone-idea was still on my mind.

Below a print of a found firestone I once made.  I've played with it and
the outcome is a kind of "rara avis rosetta" ( maybe a face, a comet, an island,
and when you turn it it to the right it's a bird.)















































































To see more "rara avis" please visit the sites of the other artists who 
joined the drawing challenge: (just click on their name)
AnnekeKristenSabineVeronicaTammie, NadineCaroleStefanieSharmonKatrin and Lucia




10 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

i love the balance between the two sides of you wooden piece

for me i see two dancers
i also see your bird

wonderful fire stone piece as well

thank you for hosting for us Eric and for letting me know, sometimes i miss out.

Sharmon Davidson said...

I like your "rara avis", Eric, and agree with Tammie about the balance of the piece. The shape of the bird is graceful and awkward at the same time, like a real bird. (I mean this as a good thing; I have spent some time studying the outlines of birds in flight.) Thanks for hosting the drawing challenge, and for inviting me!

Carole Reid said...

Very cool rare bird you've created, Eric. It's interesting how a piece of scrap wood can become such an exquisite blue bird. Thanks for the great theme.

nadine paduart said...

what a splendid idea. those moments of trouvailles are magical.. i usually do not know whàt to do with these left-overs and throw them out. but you made the best of it! see, yeah! those prints are cool. n♥

Unknown said...

Realy a nice rara avis! Like it! And thanks for this interessting theme!

Kristen Donegan said...

Such a fun theme Eric- Thank you and I really like your sculpture and what you did with it...I thought it would be made of metal when I first saw it- would make a great garden piece :)

Veronica Roth said...

The wooden piece is lovely Eric and has a wonderful balance, but I really love the Rara Avis Rosetta, especially the black and white second image. I once wrote a science fiction story and draw the imaginary world on a map, and this Rosetta reminds me of that map of islands. It would be brilliant to write a story using that Rosetta as the world. :D Thank you so much for hosting this week; it's been great.

Stefanie Seltner said...

Your rara avis is really fantastic, it has a special aura!
Thank you Eric for this so inspiring theme, I had so much fun with it.
Have a fine week x Stefanie

Patrice A. said...

;^))
dat een reststuk
een dierbaar stuk kan worden
daar word ik enorm vrolijk van!
en
het lijkt werkelijk op een vogel
olé!

Caterina Giglio said...

I enjoy the "way" you SEE..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...